Top 8 Outdoor Rooms and Features for When You Imagine that Next Dream Home
Is a treehouse or a studio cottage in the backyard on your “must-have” list for your future deam house plans? Maybe you yearn to cook outdoors like a master BBQ chef - and just need the right outdoor space?
Here are our readers, editors and builders Top 8 Ideas for outdoor rooms and features.
1. Wide, Wraparound Porch. For all those sunny and lazy days of summer where one can enjoy the breeze, have a couple of cool drinks and watch the sun set. And if you live in the South, a covered porch facing south or west can be an inviting place to relax most times of the year.
Covered porches for all seasons: On the left is a porch that oozes comfort and contentment on a hot summer’s day (Plan #153-1871). To the right, this home’s porch (Plan # 163-1020) catches plenty of sun thanks to how the home was positioned on the property – making it inviting even during the Christmas holidays (note the wreaths next to the door).
A two-story, three bedroom farmhouse plan (left) features a porch with stone-based columns (Plan #165-1090).
2. Cottage or Cabin in the Backyard. Need some time to yourself? Away from all the buzz and activities in the home? A little cottage or cabin in your own backyard is a wonderful reading and relaxing space – or if need be – a workshop / studio.
Here’s the perfect spot for the small cabin in the backyard of this two-story, five bedroom farmhouse style plan (#134-1218).
Created in a Colombian suburb, the small cabin is equipped with sun roof, shelves, bench with cushions for reading and/or reclining.
3. An attractive and Landscaped Courtyard. There’s nothing more inviting than a colorful facade and landscaped grounds to set the tone for what awaits inside.
A modern landscape design illustrated in this Texas living style house plan (#117-1092)
4. Treehouse with a Hammock Below. As a child, you wanted a huge treehouse in your backyard. Now, you can make that dream a reality.
A two-bedroom country home plan (#109-1006) packs a lot of amenities in less than 1000 square feet of space – lush greenery, covered front and rear porches, and a great room. A full-size treehouse on the grounds will fit cozily next to the swing.
5. Meditation Garden. Looking to achieve Zen? For some homeowners, a meditation garden creates an atmosphere of calm and peace. Before or after a busy day at work – or in between doing chores at home – a quiet meditation garden is the place. Remember to use warm colors that blend with nature for your garden.
A rock garden with waterfalls in the courtyard of this two-story house has a similar calming effect (# 161-1017). The photo below shows the spacious backyard of a one-story, five-bedroom mountain house plan (#161-1042) for a traditional meditation garden.
6. Greenhouse. From your meditation garden, you can walk to the greenhouse filled with all your favorite plants and flowers. In modern greenhouses, you can also cultivate your own vegetable and herb garden. It is also a great way to nurture seedlings before planting them in an outdoor organic garden.
Greenhouses come in all shapes and colors. Imagine how this pretty greenhouse made of redwood timber will look next to the back patio of this Craftsman style home plan (# 153-1781)
7. Outdoor Kitchen / Grilling Porch. Just a plain old BBQ grill is passé! Now you can have a full outdoor kitchen or a barbecue porch for summer parties and other social events.
Whip up your favorite recipes in a beautifully-landscaped backyard (#106-1156). An outdoor kitchen in this luxury house plan brings all the party action to you!
Relax and enjoy the view from the barbecue porch of this traditional five-bedroom country home plan (#134-1355). Anything cooking on the grill?
8. Fire Pit. Why not a campfire at home? Gather your friends around a fire pit, relax and start roasting hot dogs and marshmallows.
Warm up next to your very own fire pit in this five-bedroom country house (# 165-1077) that also includes fireplaces, porches, a sunroom, and plenty of space to unwind.
So, don’t stifle yourself! Let your imagination and creativity flow – after all, it’s your dream home. Tell us what outdoor room is in your dreams!