Top 8 Outdoor Rooms and Features for When You Imagine that Next Dream Home
Is a treehouse or a studio cottage in the backyard on your “must-have” list for your future deam house plans? Maybe you yearn to cook outdoors like a master BBQ chef - and just need the right outdoor space?
Here are our readers, editors and builders Top 8 Ideas for outdoor rooms and features.
1. Wide, Wraparound Porch. For all those sunny and lazy days of summer where one can enjoy the breeze, have a couple of cool drinks and watch the sun set. And if you live in the South, a covered porch facing south or west can be an inviting place to relax most times of the year.
Covered porches for all seasons: On the left is a porch that oozes comfort and contentment on a hot summer’s day (Plan #153-1871). To the right, this home’s porch (Plan # 163-1020) catches plenty of sun thanks to how the home was positioned on the property – making it inviting even during the Christmas holidays (note the wreaths next to the door).
2. Cottage or Cabin in the Backyard. Need some time to yourself? Away from all the buzz and activities in the home? A little cottage or cabin in your own backyard is a wonderful reading and relaxing space – or if need be – a workshop / studio.
Here’s the perfect spot for the small cabin in the backyard of this two-story, five bedroom farmhouse style plan (#134-1218).
4. Treehouse with a Hammock Below.As a child, you wanted a huge treehouse in your backyard. Now, you can make that dream a reality.
A two-bedroom country home plan (#109-1006) packs a lot of amenities in less than 1000 square feet of space – lush greenery, covered front and rear porches, and a great room. A full-size treehouse on the grounds will fit cozily next to the swing.
5. Meditation Garden. Looking to achieve Zen? For some homeowners, a meditation garden creates an atmosphere of calm and peace. Before or after a busy day at work – or in between doing chores at home – a quiet meditation garden is the place. Remember to use warm colors that blend with nature for your garden.
6. Greenhouse.From your meditation garden, you can walk to the greenhouse filled with all your favorite plants and flowers. In modern greenhouses, you can also cultivate your own vegetable and herb garden. It is also a great way to nurture seedlings before planting them in an outdoor organic garden.