house plans
FLASH Sale on ALL Plan Packages: 10% Off at Checkout. Use Promo Code: NOW14 - Free Shipping Too. Extended to Midnight Tonight!
Question or to order
Home >> Community >> House Plans >> Discussions
Search entire site
Plan Modifications
House Plans
Plan Modifications
By: chantyken
On: 10/12/2005
If I find a plan on your site that has the basic layout I am looking for but requires a few modifications, for example; to fit on a lot I purchased or to change the dimensions of a room, can the plans be altered to my specifications?
Reply to this Post
Re: Plan Modifications
By: JSmith

Yes, you can make customizations on your plans.  You can have the changes done locally or with the original designer.

The following are a few basic options we suggest to clients that want changes done to a plan. 

1. Many people purchase the vellum/reproducible set and have the changes drawn on the actual plans by there builder or a designer.  Then when they have it the way they want it they can make copies of it. 
  2.  Others purchase the Auto CAD file and take it to a local designer so that they can supervise the changes.  
  3.   If people are serious about having the plans changed by the actual designer, we can set that up as well.

If you have any further questions about customizations, please contact us for assistance.

Thank you for the inquiry,

Jake Smith

www.theplancollection.com

866-787-2023

Reply to this Post
By: jengland

Ya, the vellum set is a great option because most people have minor changes. I have people asking me about modifications to my plans all the time that are things like adding a window, or taking one out. For these kinds of changes, it's not worth paying me to re-draw the pages when they could be redlined in a couple of minutes.

Reply to this Post
By: chantyken
Thanks for responding to my question.  If I choose to have the actual designer make the changes for me, does that add to the cost of the plan?  And if so, how much more money can I plan on for the modifications?
Reply to this Post
Jake Smith would have a better handle on the costs charged by the designers he works with on a daily basis. From a designers point of view, this will vary a lot depending on what the change is. Sometimes a modification will require me to redraw the elevations, floor plans and all the framing details. Sometimes they are a lot more minor and it just takes a couple hours. So my changes will range from a $200-whatever the changes entail. Sometimes it's easier to start over.
Reply to this Post
oh... I'll also add here that even though I do my design work on a computer, chnages are not as easy as a click of a button like some people imagine they are. Even though I use a computer, there is still a lot of manual editing that goes into a plan that has to be re-done if modifications are made.
Reply to this Post
By: Jaren
On: 10/13/2005
From a builder's point of view, I would recommed making the changes yourself or having your builder help you with them.  You will notice you things about your lot that will require slight changes.  For instance, you may want to add a window to pick up a view.  Your builder will let you know if that is possible.  I recently purchased four differnt vellum sets.  I then took it to the print shop and had a copy made.  Then I made changes to the copy.  It was just with White-Out and a ruler and pencil.  Once I made the appropriate changes, I took the modified prints back to the print shop and had them reprinted. 
Reply to this Post
By: Jaren
On: 10/13/2005
I discovered the coolest thing at the blue print shop.  They have the ability to take my full size plans and scan them into their computer and make me copies on a cd.  Although it isn't to scale it is still nice to have to send a an electronic copy to the bank, the appraiser, as well as, many sub contractors and the home-owner. The plans I purchased came with the right to do this.  It also allows me the rights to post them on my personal web-page.  I just can't resell them.  I was also suprised that they sent me a copy-right release that states I can build that same plan more than once.  I just can't let others build it.  I know that can't be the case with all of the desiners, but apparently many of them operate under these terms, if you purchase a vellum set.  Just check with Jake to find out about each design.

Reply to this Post
Follow Us Across the Web
Join the Discussion!
Have a question? Want to comment?
ASK YOUR QUESTION
MOST ACTIVE DISCUSSIONS
UNANSWERED DISCUSSIONS
© 2014 The Plan Collection, LLC