Question or to order
Home >> Community >> House Plans >> Discussions
Search entire site
Style
House Plans
Style
By: Woody
On: 3/2/2007
I find it interesting that every region has different trends.  I've noticed this as we sell one style of plans to one area and another style else where.  I've also seen a lot of trends.  Where I live, a blend of craftsman, ranch, and european styles has become a major trend in home building.  They're nice homes.  When I lived in California I saw a lot of Mediterranean/California homes, though I'm wondering if the southwestern/santa fe style home is popular there now.  They're huge in southern Utah.  Whats going up in your neighborhoods?
Reply to this Post
Re: Style
By: BookWench
On: 4/3/2007
In my area, southern Arkansas, the latest trend seems to be traditional designs, but there's a few European styles as well. I don't believe I've seen a Southwestern/Sante Fe style built around here at all.
Reply to this Post
On: 4/4/2007
  That sounds like the pictures of seen of some of the deep south.  Looks beautiful.  Are there any modern styles likeImage of house plan M-2228
" title="art deco" target="_blank"> Art Deco?  I've always wondered how unconventional houses can get.  It would be interesting to see one of these between two victorian houses.
Reply to this Post
By: BookWench
On: 4/4/2007

No Art Deco either, that I'm aware of. Taking my city (population 10,000) for example this is what you'll find:

On Main Street, the historic district, and older part of the city: an eclectic mix of colonial, victorian, georgian, and craftsman homes. Most are very well maintained.

On the east side of the city, a more economically-depressed area, the homes are mostly small frame homes with a small front porch and no car storage. This area also has some small brick ranch homes.

Scattered thorughout the city there are about five lower middle class subdivisions: All having pretty much the same ranch design (1,000 to 1,300 square-foot 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, single car carports, on small 80' X 120' lots).

There's also about 10 large middle class subdivisions: Almost all of the homes ranch styles from the early 1970s through the late 1980s. Sizes range from around 1,500 to 2,500 square feet. 

In the Country Club area, there are about five small upper-middle class subdivisions with traditional, a few tudors and a couple of victorian design homes.

In the University area, there are probably another five small upper-middle class subdivisions with traditional design homes.

Then there's the "micro-estates." About 10 subdividisions (3- to 5-acre lots) on the edge of the city. Mostly traditional style homes with some European influences, but there's also a few country farm house designs with big porches and two or three "New Orleans" style homes leaning toward the french influences.

The largest homes built in the last five years are on very large secluded lots (10-20 acres) just inside or right outside the city limits. Those are also traditional styles with European influences. Perhaps the largest home built here in the last 5 years is a $3 million home built on 20 acres just inside the city limits. It is a beautiful French design.

The current trend seems to be traditional and European designs.

Reply to this Post
On: 4/5/2007
That's neat!  We have been selling a lot of larger homes to the south lately.  Our old district in Northern Utah has a bunch of amazing brick homes that vary between english and french cottages to the classic american bungalow.  I've always wanted to live in one and renovate it.  That covers downtown and our University area.  Then it seemed we hit the ranch and tudor styles in the 70's and 80's.  The 90's was the contemporary european style together with the vinyl siding track california ranch style homes.  Now it's all about rustic european and craftsman.  The only modern we get are the buildings the university puts up.
Reply to this Post
By: forpat
On: 6/4/2007

In my opinion the houses that are being built near me have very little style at all.  If I had to classify, they are mostly bland traditionals, such as [url=

I call this bland because this is the same basic layout of probably 80 to 85% of the houses being built today in Maryland.  The only thing that really changes is the exterior, and those differences are minor.  Builders try to say that buyers can customize the homes, which is true to a point, but I still don't see anything unique or innovative. 

On the other hand, these styles are very popular and efficient.  From a personal (and somewhat snobbish) standpoint I would love to have a house that is truely unique, something that nobody else has.  But to do that with a new house would cost too much money and take far too much time.  There are some area's near me that have classic old homes that are in excellent shape, but again the price is very high. 

Reply to this Post
By: jengland
On: 6/19/2007

this is the truth. Not only is the actual customization limited when building with a home builder... but if you do try and do something really different you end up paying a heck of a lot more because the local contractors are used to the same old thing. Anything out of the ordinary costs more because they are not used to doing it. Too bad really, i'd like to see more architecturally pleasing homes than we do around here.

I've learned though, that some people really don't care what they live in. They just want something nice.

Reply to this Post
On: 6/20/2007

Hehe, my wife is one of those.  She wants the brand new house, very classical and elegant and showy.  I would prefer something with character, unique detailing, nooks and crannies, etc.  But as I said before you just can't get that in a new house, and the old ones with all those things I like are out of my price range or are fixer-uppers.  So in the end the wife wins.  Again.  ;-)

I do agree that contracters today wouldn't know how to build custom.  It's just too much for basic builder/contracters.

Reply to this Post
By: jengland
On: 6/26/2007

You could always lay claim to the garage and maybe a room in the basement - make those your rooms to do with what you want. I'm lucky to have an easy going wife so we colaborate and find something that works for both of us. Up until now I have done homes that are like the norm in our area with our own personal touches that kind of set the home apart. My wife likes a much more modern style, but up until now i've been reluctant to get too crazy because i have been building with the intention of selling in a couple of years. 

Our last house however, will probably have a more modern flair and it will be in an area without restrictions on what we can build. Not sure when we'll build that one... but i do plan to claim at least one room as my own. Not sure if I'll win, but at least i know the garage will be up to me.

Reply to this Post
On: 6/27/2007

Haha, true, the garage is mine, basically.  And when we finally get the basement finished off I'll have a little space down there to do with as I please.

One thing I want to say about my previous posts, is that although I do complain about the generic styling of much of what is built in my area I do admit that once a family moves in and makes the house "theirs" the blandness sometimes disappears.  Floor plans may be essentially the same with 6 of your neighbors but the personal touch inside is very important.

Reply to this Post
By: MissSapphire
On: 7/15/2010
I agree, forpat. The most important thing is to add something special in all you do, something to be different from the other, something unique. If all the houses would look the same, what will make it to be your house?
Reply to this Post
Follow Us Across the Web
Join the Discussion!
Have a question? Want to comment?
ASK YOUR QUESTION
MOST ACTIVE DISCUSSIONS
UNANSWERED DISCUSSIONS
© 2014 The Plan Collection, LLC